Earnshaw's buddy program has been recognised as 'best practice' by Education Queensland International (EQI) after being showcased by Earnshaw international ambassadors at an EQI forum.
Our international ambassadors work hard to make our visitors feel like they are at home. They help to settle international students quickly into the whole school community.
As a prep-12 college, our international visitors may be placed in a homestay with younger children at the college. This allows them to also have a mini buddy at the school. This is a unique experience and a special bond is created between many friendship groups at the school across a variety of year levels.
The ambassador roles include:
- Travel training.
- Explaining the timetable and itinerary to International visitors.
- College tour.
- Assisting visitors throughout their day – supporting them in English classes.
- Welcoming visitors into their friendship groups - visiting students are able to participate in all activities their buddy does including extra-curricular experiences.
Earnshaw prepares our buddies for this important role in the following ways:
- Ambassadors and visitors are matched by age (either same or younger), which assists with their English skills.
- International ambassadors are given the itinerary a week before with name and age of buddy. We also share info from their profile pages including hobbies and interests.
- The homestay son or daughter is of course the optimum choice to be the international ambassador.
- The visiting students also have mini buddies in many cases. Mini buddies are also introduced to the international ambassador and they celebrate together during any welcome or farewell functions.
- Visiting students will also get the opportunity to go into the mini buddy’s class during the study tour.
- Where possible we plan for an excursion which the international ambassadors can attend with the visiting students.
Earnshaw students quickly sign up for the International Ambassador program and homestay to have the unique experience of being a buddy.